Monday 24 June 2013

The Sound of Silence

Gladstone, my gargoyle puppet, turns out to be quite the singer.  He performed the following yesterday, to a very well-known tune originally by Simon and Gar...goyle?

(We've been going through the life of Elijah in our Old Testament readings.)



Hello Yahweh, my old friend, I've come to talk with you again
Because a sadness set me weeping, and despair has stopped me sleeping
And the mission that you gave me is too tough, I've had enough
And all I've found is silence

Near desert streams I walked alone, laid my head upon a stone
Drought had put me in a bad mood, I turned to calling out to you for food
Then surprise! There's bread, in a flash of a raven's flight, every night
Falls to the ground in silence

You made the widow's oil jar pour, and every day there was some more,
We were living without starving, but her son died without reason,
I was righting wrongs and praying that you cared, and so I dared
To raise the dead from silence

Fools, said I, aren't you aware, idols cannot answer prayer
Hear my words and I might teach you, here's a sign that God might reach you
With the fire, at last the raindrops fell, and filled up all the wells in silence

And the people bowed and prayed, for my God had won the day
But the king sent out his warning, so I fled here in the morning
And I sought a word for your prophet in the earthquake, wind and fire

But they passed by, and you whispered in the sounds of silence.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's very well done indeed. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning!! You are so gifted (don't forget that).

    ReplyDelete